That’s how many hours are in a week. No more, no less.
How are you spending your time? Let’s take a look at the average American, shall we?
-3 hours and 40 minutes on our cellphones and tablets daily
-5 hours watching the television daily
-8.7 hours at work daily
-34 minutes, that’s the total time a family spends together each day
-12 minutes per day exercising
-1 hour and 8 minutes eating each day
-6 hours and 55 minutes sleeping each night
That’s not a great way to spend our time, don’t you agree?
How can we structure our day so that we are more productive, getting regular movement/exercise, eat more mindfully, get adequate sleep, and spend more time with our family?
- DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR CELLPHONE/TABLET WITHIN THE FIRST 30 MINUTES OF WAKING! Instead, get up, stretch, and either head to the gym or exercise outside/at home.
- EAT WITH YOUR FAMILY AT LEAST ONE MEAL, AND KEEP THE TV OFF AND CELLPHONES AWAY FROM THE TABLE! Dine. Spend time catching up on each other’s day. Eat mindfully, chewing and enjoying your food and conversation. Disconnect from electronics and reconnect with your family.
- TAKE MOVEMENT BREAKS AT WORK! Every hour spent sitting, get up and walk for 8-10 minutes. Perform some squats or pushups. Exercise not only is good for your body, it aids in blood flow and glucose metabolism in the brain, making you able to concentrate better.
- HAVE A BEDTIME, AND STICK TO IT! If you want to get a good night’s sleep (and who doesn’t), you’ll need to learn when to shut it all down. Turn off the electronics 1 hour before bed (no cellphone next to the bed), read, meditate, and go to sleep.
- SCHEDULE YOUR TRAINING! Putting your workouts in as appointments will increase the likelihood of them getting done. It blocks time for you to take care of you.
- SCHEDULE AND ENJOYYOUR MEALS! Sit down, breathe, chew, and enjoy the process of mindful eating. If you’re always on the run, you’re in a sympathetic nervous system mode (running from lions). When we eat, we should be in a parasympathetic mode (resting and digesting).
Here’s a link to some additional strategies from Entrepreneur Magazine https://www.entrepreneur.com/slideshow/
Want coaching? We are here to help!
Renegade Fitness offers online fitness, nutrition, and lifestyle coaching for busy folks. Reach out to us!