You are unique. There is no single “best” diet for everyone.
There are, however, basic principles under which all people can benefit, and which should be used to create the best nutrition program for you.
- Eat whole, minimally processed or unprocessed foods. Organic is ideal.
- Focus on vegetables. Get a variety of colors and types, ideally change your consumption with the season.
- Eat fresh fruits. Follow the colors and seasons.
- Eat nuts and seeds. Stick to a small handful once a day, or add to your salads.
- Eat olives/olive oil, avocados/avocado oil. Add to salads, use to make your own salad dressing. If using the oil, 1-2 tbsp is a serving.
- A couple of times per week, eat beans or legumes with meals.
- Eat full fat grass fed dairy. Whole eggs, whole milk, whole milk yogurt/kefir, butter
- Eat quality protein from fish, beef, pork, poultry, and wild game
- Eat starchy carbohydrates like root vegetables, sourdough bread, and sprouted grains
- Drink lots of water
- Eat when you are hungry, don’t eat when you aren’t.
- Snack only if you are having trouble getting enough energy from your meals
That said, what you individually need is also based on your culture, food preferences, tolerances, allergies, gut health, energy needs, and micronutrient needs.
Everyone is different, so what works for me may not be exactly what you need. We operate within the rules, and cater to the individual. That’s the path to success.
Want online fitness or nutrition coaching? Reach out to me here on the blog, on Facebook at Renegade Fitness, Instagram @renegadefitnessmiami, or on our website!